What is it?
A 30 minute introduction to the library including: the Computer Centre, your vle (Blackboard) and the Academic Skills Service (ASK).
Who is it for?
All new students. Returning students who wish to refresh their memory may attend any of the mop-up sessions throughout the first semester.
When & where is it?
Library induction generally takes place in the library within the first week of Semester 1. Your tutor will have booked a session so make sure you find out when this is.
What will it cover?
- Reading lists
- Printing, copying and scanning
- Setting your username and password
- How to use Blackboard
- Searching the catalogue
- Subject librarians
- Borrowing and renewing
- Where to get help to improve your acadmeic skills
- Finding books and articles
- Logging on to Blackboars, E-Vision, email and E-Library
What will you get out of it?
By knowing how to use their library effectively you will:
- save time looking for resources as you will know where to find them
- save money as you will know which books and journals are available in the library
- get better grades because you will know how to use a range of resources in your assignments
But don’t just take our word for it – here’s what some of the students we saw last year said:
“Gave good basic start to understanding library facilities”
“Presentation was good. Information up to a good standard and very relevant”
“Very informative, all areas covered and places for extra help highlighted”
“Overall a good clear presentation. Thank you”
“Very very helpful. Thank you”
“Thank you 🙂 “
“Great + very concise”
“Very helpful presentation”
“Really good introduction! Thank you”
“Yeah, just right, found out what I wanted to find out, thanks”
“I believe that the library will aid my studies sufficiently enough for me to achieve my grades”